Danby Wiske Parish Church
Priest in Charge: Revd. David Bartlett
Churchwarden: Ian Pattinson
Churchwarden: Sue Rayfield
Secretary: Sandra Janney
Danby Wiske Parish Church is open every day, usually with services every Sunday.
Details on the church history on the Danby Wiske website: danbywiske.org.uk
The original early Norman Church has been incorporated into the later Norman/Early English building. In the fourteen century, the north aisle and chancel were rebuilt, a clerestory was built over the arcade and another one over the south wall and the tower was added.
Over the south door there is a Norman tympanum made between 1090 and 1120. The figures which are carved in stone, are supposed to represent the weighing of the soul. The tympanum is there to remind the congregation as they enter the Church that the day of judgement is inevitable.
The font which has a very large bowl is early Norman. In the west end there are some Jacobean stalls with Arabesque carvings and the names of the Church Wardens dated 1640 are inscribed on them.
The tall Perpendicular fourteenth century tower which has recently been restored, has three bells which are rung regularly.
In the chancel there is a life-size effigy of ‘Matilda’ who was the widow of Brian Fitz Alan of Bedale c. 1340.